Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Ok folks, I’m officially a wuss. The heat and humidity have knocked me completely. Plus I’m still recovering from the 3 hours of bus ride on the Viet Nam trip; it bumped and swayed all the way… a real killer for my bones.

Yesterday was Sihanoukville, Cambodia. This port is about 3 hours away from Phnom Penh - no tours there were offered. We docked right next to the old fishing village; the new city is about a mile away.

We chose to ride the shuttle into town. We left a little before 10 hoping to beat the worst of the heat. The minute I stepped off the bus I was surrounded by TukTuk drivers all wanting to give us a tour. We finally worked through that crowd and decided to just wander up the street a bit - one TukTuk driver stayed next to us the whole time trying to convince us to ride; he must have burned a fair amount of gas before he finally gave up. We walked for about 30 minutes and then decided maybe a tuktuk might be a good idea…it was HOT. We booked a hour with a nice young man that spoke pretty good English . He took us up to a temple and then around town. That was plenty of time in the heat for me and after a quick stop in the MiniMart we came back to the ship.

The MiniMart had potato chips!! I ended up buying 5 little bags; who could resist Garlic Softshell Crab, Hot Chili Squid, and Seaweed flavored chips?? I also got some cheese chips and a bag of original. Believe it or not they are made by Lays (Pepsico). I wonder what would happen if I went into King Soopers and asked them to order hot chili squid potato chips?

Back at the ship we had a quick bite of lunch and then I lay down to read… an hour and a half later I woke up. The rest of the day was just about the same except I did go to the Cabaret Lounge for the Folkloric show which was very good and lasted about an hour. The costumes for this one were especially beautiful.

Today is a sea day - we have nothing planned. Tomorrow is Thailand but we have been notified that we will port far from Bangkok so I am going to cancel my tour; I can’t face 5 hours of bus rides right now. Jim is still planning to go on the tour to Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment