Saturday, May 2, 2009

Venice






Good heavens why haven’t I been to Venice before this? It was absolutely magnificent. It is everything I’ve seen in pictures… and more. There was only one drawback to the day; it was May 1st which is a holiday in Italy and most of Europe so Venice was packed with people and some museums, shops and things were closed. None of that affected our day other than we chose not to go to St. Mark’s Square which was wall-to-wall people.

Our small ship was able to go through the waterway to the cruise port so we were able to see much of the skyline and buildings early in the morning and again in the evening as we left the port. What a sight!

We boarded the shuttle boat at about 9:30 without any wait - the short ride was about 15 minutes and it dropped us off fairly near St. Mark’s Square. We started off in that direction, but as the crowds grew heavier and heavier I decided not to deal with them and we headed off in the opposite direction. For us it was the perfect choice. We wandered along the sidewalks and along the canals crossing the bridges and taking whatever turns we wanted. Every block brought new wonders; I couldn’t stop taking pictures. We saw houses, shops, cafes - all the parts of real life in Venice rather than the stalls selling stuff for tourists.

At about noon we happened upon a couple gondoliers who ask if we wanted a ride. Why not, it is something I wanted to do anyway. Even though they are only used for tourists these days I just had to do it. Not cheap… but worth it. We had about a 40 minute ride through the small canals. Our guide pointed out several buildings and told us about them; Casanova’s house, several Doges houses, Marco Polo’s house. Now whether or not they are all true I don’t know… but it was a great time.

At about 2:00 we came out from between the buildings and realized we were back at the sea. Except it didn’t seem quite right. After studying our little map for quite a while we realized we were all the way across the island. We headed back in the direction we needed to go and eventually reached the place to catch the shuttle back to the ship.

I have heard all the stories: Venice is sinking - it looked fine to me. It stinks… I didn’t smell anything bad at all. It wasn’t even musty smelling. The buildings are falling into ruin… it seems to me they are doing everything possible to restore and save them. Many are 600 years old. I can’t imagine how they have stood for this many years in the water without crumbling away.
I’m tired and sore but what a day it was. This is now my number one “have to go back to” city. I need several days here with no time constraints (and no holiday). It’s quite expensive, but I’ll figure a way to do it.
The picture below gives you an idea of how crowded San Marco was.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan. This is Laurie. I have been reading about your fabulous trip. I wish I was there with you! If I could get a car, I would make an excursion up E55 northeast to Salzburg so I could see where the Von Trap Family lived. Do you know about them? When are you coming home? From the map, it appears that you are about at the end of your world tour. From what city do you fly home? I can hardly wait to see you again so I can learn more about your trip. Mark "Cruiseaphobic" and Carol are with me arm chair traveling by reading your great BLOG (Mark just told me about the definition of BLOG)but nothing is better than learning about your fabulous time in person! So, when you get back, I know you will be tired. As soon as you rest up, please come see me. Have a safe trip home. Oh we had something you would love for breakfast. They had biscuits and gravy and I thought of Mark because he loves biscuits and gravy (I even mentioned that to people around me)BUT I didn't have that. Instead, I had scrambled eggs. They were GREAT! They are always good when we have that. We are going go now and Google General Hospital.

    Love,

    Laurie

    P.S. Mark and Carol say hi and make sure you tell Jim hello! He did a very nice job telling us about Athens. :-)

    ReplyDelete