Saturday, January 31, 2009







I thought you might enjoy an entry from Jim - This is his recount of going to see a submarine museum yesterday prior to our departure from Callao at 1:00.
-----------------
A few years ago I became fascinated with submarines. During my research of this cruise I found there is a retired submarine/ museum near the port. Departing the ship there is the familiar “You want a taxi mister?” OK My Spanish was as good as his English. After a bit I gave up on the word “Submarine”. “It is near the Real Felipe fortress”, I say. His eyes light up. We are off to the fortress.

Attempting to recall my 6th grade Spanish again - “Como se llama”, big smile - “Orlando” is his name. At the fort I say to the guard “submarine”. “Si” and he proceeds to tell Orlando how to get there. As soon as I see the sub and point, we stop on the street in front of a big gate, through which I can see the submarine. Off I go and he will park down the street. Upon entering the gate there is a man in overalls near what looks like a ticket booth. More attempted communication. He understands that I am interested in the submarine, but this is as far as I seem to get. Then he shakes his head, points to my camera and I hear “no photos”. More Spanish, then I here “dinero”. I once knew what “how much” in Spanish is, but it’s not coming to me now. I really do enjoy attempting to communicate with someone when neither of you speak the other’s language. Sign language comes in very handy. I rub my thumb and forefinger together - he says “biente” - I say “diez American” - he says “siete American” - OK!

I’m heading to the sub taking pictures. Walking to my left toward the access, there is a 10 foot wall and a locked gate. Now what? Back out the gate - wave to Orlando - on down the street. Here is another large gate, except this one has a picture of a submarine above it. This must be the place. Another attempt at communication. When this is completed, 6 people have been involved, I paid 4 American dollars and received change. Much better deal than next door. An education costs money. Heading onto a clear path to the sub, a gentleman comes up behind me. He introduces himself and will be my guide. He speaks a lot more English than I do Spanish, but still close. He was actually on this submarine for 3 years and on another for 12 years. This is a Sierra class American sub - commissioned in 1942 - purchased and renamed by Peru in 1957 - decommissioned in 1998 - museum in 2004. He and I were on the sub for about an hour alone. He would try to recall a word in English for an item or function and I could usually say it from the reading I have done on the subject. About half way through the tour he played an audio recording of a torpedo attack on 2 targets, then there was a simulated attack of the sub in the aft torpedo room (one of the pictures ). Fantastic tour - I loved every minute of it. We were walking back to the entrance when he shook my hand and we thanked each other, then off he went. At the entrance there was a large group waiting. What perfectly lucky timing I had.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post Jim. How neat you got a private tour. Reminds me of Robin's story on her cruise.(can't remember which island but it was in the evening and not touristy!) I'm enjoying the blog, Sally
    ps is there a prefered profile to send this?

    ReplyDelete