Wednesday, January 28, 2009

At Sea

Today is the second of two sea days. Yesterday was fairly busy for us as I had signed us up for a couples massage class… Jim whined a lot about having to go, but seemed to have a good time once he was there. I managed to get a double massage out of it as I offered to be the demo person too!

John’s lecture yesterday was on Titanic survivors based on the book he edited for Violet Jessup who was one of the survivors. We had lunch with them yesterday and had a very interesting discussion on cruising today versus 10 years ago.

We have also been going to the afternoon trivia sessions when we can. We don’t join a real team since we are not good at it, but we do get a pencil and paper and sit nearby - over in the smoking area and play by ourselves… we are really bad… or the questions are really hard. What is the plural of cul-de-sac? OR In the U.S. the most used language is English; second is Spanish what is third? (see comments for answers)

Tomorrow we dock (for two days) in Callao. We will be taking the shuttle in to Lima to the Marriott Hotel. I’m hoping they will have free wifi so I can write some personal emails. The internet here on the ship is quite good and they certainly do not overcharge you for minutes… I’m doing pretty well keeping my time down. I can use my tiny laptop in the cabin (sitting on the bed) and pick up the wifi signal if we open the cabin door it increases the signal strength, but it seems to be ok without doing that. So…. Just like at home in the morning, I’m sitting here in my jammies drinking coffee and doing my computer stuff. I wonder how I ever had time to go to work???

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier… it is not hot, the temperatures have been in the 70s, That surprises me; I thought it was supposed to be HOT at the equator.

4 comments:

  1. Trivia answers: culs-de-sac and American sign language (the key was the word used instead of spoken).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can imagine, the ONLY reason I go on cruises is to win the trivia contests. But, I would not have gotten the culs-de-sac. 70 degrees...12 here in Durango this morning, and much colder in Denver I hear. Enjoy Sue and Jim!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a great time...it's been quite cold this week, though we are warming up for the weekend.
    I'm anxious to hear about Easter Island...isn't that coming up soon.
    The budget situation is as predicted...or worse, so be glad you are gone and enjoying new places.
    Fred is fat and happy...we feed him every day or two, so he'll be here when you return.
    Happy sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are having a great time! I got Culs-de-sac right. The other one I guessed Eubonics and I think there are more people that speak that then their are blind people.

    The temperatures at the equator are generally warmer than anywhere else. This is NOT because the equator is closest to the sun, despite popular belief. The sun is around 93 million miles away, the equator being a few thousand miles closer makes a negligible difference. The reason that the equator is warmer is that it recieves the highest intensity of sunlight, as the sun's rays are focused most on this area. If you travel north or south of the equator, the light is more spread out, as Earth is spherical (There is more energy per metre cubed reaching the equator than anywhere else) That is why it gets cooler the closer to the poles you get. This is all made more complicated by the atmosphere and oceans, but is essentially the governing factor.

    You should be aware, though, that there are a few places on the equator that actually do have snow. This happens because at higher elevations (i.e. high up in mountains), the temperature is colder. Close to the equator, you have to get really high up in order to get snow, but there are a few mountain peaks that are tall enough. For example, Mt. Kilamanjaro in Tanzania, the Mt. Cayambe in Equador, Mt. Cotacachi also in Equador, and Mt. Kenya in the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya are well-known for getting cold enough to have snow even though they are right near the equator.

    Until next time,

    Cruisaphobic

    ReplyDelete