Thursday, February 5, 2009

Easter Island




Yesterday afternoon we did a tour of Easter Island. The tender ride was long, not because of the distance, but tenders for our ship and Sega Rose had to alternate and only one tender could approach the pier to load and unload so there was a waiting line of several tenders.

We had a tour called Easy Easter Island in a 16-person van. We visited 3 sites and the artisan market. It was very good; our guide would do a short talk about the site and then we had time to take photographs. You could get within about 10 feet of the statues, but not actually touch them. They stand about 17 feet tall - some restored to better condition than others. One site all the statues were toppled and no restoration had taken place. I should have studied a bit about Easter Island; I thought the statues faced out to sea to ward off invaders. They don’t - they face inland and guard over burial grounds.

It is a beautiful island, I could easily spend a couple months there - very peaceful and laid-back. It was a beautiful hot sunny day and we came back sunburned and very dusty! I hit the shower within 5 minutes of coming to the cabin.

I'll come back and add photos when I have a better connection.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I always wanted to go to Easter Island!
    Sue - there is a guy on your cruise posting on the Princess cruise critics page. He is posting a lot of pictures and they are fabulous. Between your blog and his pics and descriptions I feel I am on your cruise. Well, only 4 months till we do Scandanavia on the Eurodam.

    ReplyDelete